Thursday 20 December 2012

And so it begins …


And so the 3rd Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge has begun.  This wonderful competition promoting blogging and miniature painting around the world started very early this morning in Canada at 12:01am.  Being at work at that precise time in a very rainy London I’ve not yet got near a paint brush, but all that will hopefully change this evening.


As I’ve mentioned in a couple of blog posts, I’m hoping to paint up just over a hundred 28mm French Poilu from Scarab Miniatures as part of a Verdun project I’ve been planning for a year or so.  I've also decided to make the Challenge an occasion for some blog posts relating to the various offensives around Verdun in 1916 and 1917.  Hopefully, in the New Year, once I’ve got some figures painted and varnished, I’ll be blogging some wargames battle-reports focused on Verdun scenarios.


Alongside this, I’m planning to post half a dozen Verdun-themed books reviews (starting with the very interesting “The Road to Verdun” by Ian Ousby, which I’ve just finished), a boardgame review (Roger Nord’s “Verdun: A Generation Lost” from ATO), a couple of Verdun scenarios for “Through the Mud and the Blood” and a couple of other surprises.  There you go, see how I’ve sneakily covered myself in case I don’t get around to those surprises!


It’s a long time since I’ve felt as excited about a painting project as this. The thought that all the painting needs to be done to be eligible for the Challenge by 20th March 2013 is going to be a great motivator. Although of course, in the greatest of French traditions, expect insouciance and laissez faire and even the occasional Gallic shrug from me at certain times during the painting frenzy!

I’ve also changed the look of the blog slightly to reflect the project in hand. The background shows French deployments in the battle to retake the Hauts de Meuse in August 1917. I’ve changed the image of the German command group to show some Stosstruppen (which seems more Verdun-themed), although hopefully I’ll have a new banner of grizzled Poilu as the banner image very shortly.

Until then mes braves!!

20 comments:

  1. The very best of luck to you Sidney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael - and the very best of luck to you also!

      Delete
  2. Your totally right about the Challenge, its a fantastic motivator! I still can't belive how much I painted in last years Challenge. Good Luck and I'm looking forward to see the French painted up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thansk Ray - yes, I'm really looking froward to it. Still at the undercoating stage of les Poilu, but that should change tonight!

      Delete
  3. Good luck in the challenge! I look forward to being both impressed and educated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vlad - that's very kind. I'm not sure I'm much of an educator! On the shoulders of giants, as they say....!

      Delete
  4. OK, start by changing the name of the blog, something like "Le Monde de Roundwood" or similar :-)
    Very good luck, I'm your devoted supporter in this contest... but I see that Ray has already infiltrated already in your blog... expect the worse!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito!! That suggestion did make me smile, and I'm now thinking what else I can do to Gallic-ise the blog. If all else fails, it may well be Le Monde de Roundwood, but only when I've actually got some of these French chaps painted! Hope you enjoy what's coming down the Boulevard!

      Delete
  5. Good luck in the challenge and I too find it to be a really great motivator! I'm sure your wonderful posts will yet again tempt into starting WWI before I'm ready!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher. Very best of luck to you also - I'm likewise really looking forward to what you come up with.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a wonderful project Sidney. To misquote Ferdinand Foch; "My centre is giving way. My right is in retreat. Situation excellent. I shall paint!" Aye, Rusty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rusty, thanks so much. You've really set the pace, though, with your terrific blog.

      I should have mentioned before how it's given me a lot of inspiration to do more "Project Blogging" - a sort of top-to-bottom approach - books, boardgames, figures (and multiple scales) and wargaming. If you like what's coming - pat yourself on the back, Sir, because you were the inspiration for it!

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to following your latest project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Always great to welcome you here and to know you're following!

      Delete
  8. Hello,
    I'm French and I'm the Secretary of the Society (http://www.sam2g.fr/) which supports the new WWI museum in Meaux (France)(http://www.museedelagrandeguerre.eu/). We have a wargame project around "Through the Mud and The Blood" rules for 2013. Would you please contact me by mail to discuss the project in details (quietus@club-internet.fr)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvain, thank you very much for your comment. Welcome - I've just dropped you an email. Thanks very much for getting in touch.

      Delete
  9. Hi

    First off thanks for a great blog. It has inspired me to start my own WWI project.

    I have a small request. Could you please make a "how to" of how you made the flamethrower flames which you showed in a recent Update?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Garder, thanks so much for the comment, and Welcome! I'm so pleased I could help in any way to get you inspired. I did a tutorial "how to" on making the flamethrower flames in early August this year -

      http://sidneyroundwood.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/flaming-holidays.html

      They were really easy. The only thing you need is a bit of patience as it really does help to soak the clump foliage in PVA for a few days. It took a week for mine to dry out!

      Delete
    2. Thanks:) I must try that. I have just based a flamethrower team from Great War Miniatures.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...