Monday 10 February 2014

“This Warre Without an Enemie”: The Hartfordshyre Clarion, Edition One

Rumblings of discontent have been heard throughout the St Albans Wargames club for some time concerning the absence of an English Civil War campaign and a suitable set of rules for fighting the period. We tried to pull together some rules about three years ago called “In the Buff” – which hopefully needs no explanation.

These stuttered and limped along through several games, mainly because the period details for replicating push-of-pike and cavalry actions in a set of tabletop wargames rules are tricky. However, a series of emails dropping into my email box over the last few days herald a new club campaign, set in the green and leafy shire of Hertford during the heady days of June 1642.  Excitement is now riding high for another try out of the rules...

As Sir Sidney Foxborough, I’ve declared for Parliament, and raised a stout regiment of Hertfordshiremen in the town of Royston. I will be joined by several Parliamentary luminaries, such as Sir Roger Roughshaft of Rickmansworth (Nick). Against us are ranged the forces of the King, including Sir Rufus Leaking of Tring (Elton), Lord Seymour Organs (Rich), the Rt Honourable Sir Harden Thicke of Watford (Biffo) and Sir William Ramdin (Trev). I hope you’ll agree that this collection of names stirs more disdain than terror into the hearts of the Parliamentary armies, but we shall see how they perform in the field.

Not content with regaling us with (emailed) tales of supposed martial prowess, Lord Seymour Organs appears to have commandeered a rudimentary printing press to libel his opponents, as you can see from the newssheet below.


I have arranged for my own printing press to be shipped from Emden by express fluyt to counter such vile lies and tell the truth through England concerning the King’s poor counsel.


I'll let you know once my wordsmiths have crafted their witty response....

23 comments:

  1. Looks as though you guys are going to have as much fun sledging each other as you will playing the campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. You are absolutely right. We actually might even have more fun with the propaganda campaign than the military one !!

      Delete
  2. My English, or my (lack) of knowledge about English history, is not good enough to understand the hiding meaning behind the "In the Buff" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the buff is a word play on naked and the use of buff leather armour by the Roundheads.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Benito and Ashley - Ashley's spot on!!! I should add, in my own defence, that I don't choose the titles for the TooFatLardies rulesets!!

      Delete
    3. But Sir Seymour Organs does :)

      Delete
  3. Very clever, I do love campaigns! As you've demonstrated, they bring out extra energy and attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sidney, I am shocked. Shocked, Sir. Declared for Parliament. My word.

    I am speechless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work Sidney, up the rebels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall watch this one with interest! :o)
    The 'dramatis personae' sound like the cast of a 'Carry On ...' film!
    Oooh Matron!
    Regards
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am duly inspired..if a little concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant - the names are all classics, and I'll be watching with interest...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really looking forward to this. I'm hanging out for a good set of ECW rules, so I'm hoping 'In the Buff' develops quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the pre game propaganda play. Look forward to the reports.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absoloutely brilliant, can't wait to see this unfold. Even if you are on the wrong side... Myself and Scipio have been planning to do the same with the printing press too, some good propaganda in that one there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent. I have a gathering of londons finest trayned bands anxiously awaiting some decent lardy rules. Please keep us in the loop as to how these rules progress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would love to find out more about the rules.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...